Thursday, November 4, 2010

Design an Experience

I am a Student Coordinator for UArts101 - Creative Process and Collaboration.  My job is to facilitate class discussion, provide support to professors, grade student assignments, and act as a mentor to students on class projects.  The focus of the class is to get the students to understand their own creative process and teach them strategies to help control it.  This class is interesting, because it could be educational and relevant to people with all levels of experience in creative work.

Yesterday, we asked the students to start thinking about what it means to create a "Designed Experience".  Since I wasn't really sure myself, I developed my own definition.

Conception is the ability to form or understand mental concepts and abstraction.  It is something conceived in the mind.
Perception is awareness or consciousness - the process by which an organism detects and interprets information from the external world by means of the sensory receptors.

I believe that a Designed Experience needs to have both.  And it gets better as the conceptual and perceptual content is enhanced.

In connection to SmartSurfaces, we are designing an experience.  The perception is well on its way.  What about the conception?  maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment